pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fixing the Mind

"This history [the Passion of Christ] of the Gospels is so well worn
that it often slips through the head with out affecting the heart.


But if drawing in solitude for a portion of each day, we should select some scene or trait or incident in the life of Jesus, and with all the helps we can get seek to understand it fully...we should find ourselves insensibly interested, and might hope that in this effort of our souls to understand Him, Jesus Himself might draw near as He did of old to the disciples on the way to Emmaus.


This looking unto Jesus and thinking about Him is a better way to meet and overcome...


It is by looking at Him, that the Apostle says, "as in a glass," that we are "changed into the same image, as from glory to Glory." ~Harriet Beecher Stowe


I can think of no better Lenten thought or exercise.
Blessings on Harriet for leaving us this encouragement.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to Harriet!

    "But if drawing in solitude for a portion of each day, we should select some scene or trait or incident in the life of Jesus, and with all the helps we can get seek to understand it fully..." love that!

    (I have been counted) ;)

    ReplyDelete