pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Thursday, March 4, 2010

Snippets, Commonplace Books and Mother

Long before email there was the United Postal Service and Mother.

Hers was a life-habit of collecting bits and pieces. These were literary, poetical, historical and scriptural. They were lists of an author's books titles; they were speeches read, notes on sermons heard, biographical sketches. These were written on old envelopes, blank checks, 3 x 5 cards, any paper previously used. (Mother recycled long before that became the thing to do.)
Some were typed, others hand written.

In the early days these treasures would be stuck in books, placed on the windowsill over the sink or mailed to us children. Those mailed did not necessarily have a letter of explanation included, just a quote or pithy saying in an envelope. (But in my early days of mothering, anything from the mailbox was a treat.)

In the early years these mailed snippets were glued in blank books - commonplace books for safe keeping. Later they were just stuffed in whatever I was reading at the time.

To this day, books inherited from her flutter forth these snippets. They are part of my rich heritage. It is always a touch that warms the soul and brings a smile.

This Day once again, Mother long gone, visited me.
And so for you this day, Dear Reader, a sampling.

Meet my Mother. You'd have liked her.


"We are an Easter people
and Alleluia is our Song".
~ St. Augustine


"Here lies a piece of Christ
A star of dust, a vein of gold,
A china dish that must be used
In Heaven when God shall feast the just"
Robert Wild 1609-1679
"He gives me joy in place of sorrow;
He gives me praise in place of fear.
He gives me sunshine for my sadness;
And beauty for ashes here."
"I find, I walk, I love,
but oh the whole of love is but my answer Lord, to Thee.
For Thou wert long beforehand with my soul;
Always Thou lovedst me."
Blessings This Day.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, those precious snippets! How many live in my books, files, and drawers,or glued or written out in my bible?

    ReplyDelete