pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gifts From The Parents



"Lord, you have been our dwelling place
in all generations."

So it is written over the arch as you enter our home.
So it is the over-arching reality of my life.

Our family, like all others, consists of the 'righteously impaired'. Our family tree is hung with with dysfunctional, flawed human beings - as are all since The Garden.

Yet, with that, mine is a blessed lineage of faithful lovers and followers of the Faithful God. In all generations, refuge has been found in Him.

This is a humbling thing, not a point of pride.

My parents were unique in their bond of love, yet they remained quite different people.
Each impacted my life bringing separate gifts and influences. But with these differences came balance, a balance in perspective, a point of reference for my life choices. With a heart full of thanksgiving I share them now.

My Mother was a musician, my Father was a troubadour.
My Mother, a teacher of God's Word, My Father a preacher of that Word.
My Mother taught me beige, and sensible shoes - the practical.
My Father taught me rainbows, and bare feet - the joyful.
My Mother read to me and provided books to enjoy;
My Father gave me poetry and showed that diversity in books was good.
My Mother taught me Truth and reality;
My Father taught me Truth in beauty.
My Mother taught me rules and their importance as guides for life;
My Father showed me details and how they enrich life.
My Mother taught me propriety; My Father taught me humor.
My mother taught me spiritual duty; My father taught me spiritual response.


Both taught and expected daily obedience.
By example they taught me the importance and blessings of obeying their Savior and God.
They taught by their lives that God is a trustworthy refuge in all seasons of life.
And they pointed the way and led each of us children to the Savior early in our lives.

So, while this is Father's Day, and so I do indeed honor all the fathers in our clan, still it would have been unfair to only write what Daddy gave me without the balance of Mama's gifts.


Blessings to all this day.

2 comments:

  1. So very true! Such contrast between the two, yet such consistancy. I still miss them!

    ReplyDelete