pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Monday, July 1, 2013

When The Children Ask...


The thought never occurred to me before.  Those endless questions of the children, often proceeded with "why?", are God ordained!  It's beginnings are found in the directions given for that first Passover meal.   This instruction was again repeated by Joshua at the crossing of the Jordan by Israel as they entered the Promised Land. It included setting up of memorial - visible things - stones of remembrance "that when the children ask...."

Asking questions is firstly a sign of a bright awareness of the world around and of everything in it. We tend to forget that what we no longer notice is fresh and interesting to the young ones.  Their questions should prompt us to consider that, to consider too, that the answers are laying a foundation.  Simple questions can lead to answers of simple learning.  But sometimes they can be of strong and important theology.

I do remember how tiresome that questioning can become.  Some children are more insistent than others and can quickly strip the patience from a parental soul!  Keeping the thought of it being part of the Eternal Plan might just ease the situation and indeed give the constant answering a special gloss of importance.

It makes me sad to realize these truths were not mine when my own children were small.  But as Mercy continually redeems I now have opportunity with 'the next generation'.  What a lovely thought.

"...things we have heard and known
We must not hide them from their children,
but must tell a future generation
the praises of the Lord,
His might, 
and the wonderful works He has performed...
 to teach their children
so that a future generation
-children yet to be born-
might know..
so that they might put their confidence in God
and not forget God's works,
but keep His commandments."

_________
Exodus 12.25-27
Joshua 4.6,7
Joel 4.6,7
Psalm 78.1-6 Holman Standard Bible Trans.



3 comments:

  1. Why did I not realize this when I was raising mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nan! This was written just for me I think. Thank you for the reminder to take the time for these Ebenezer moments ("for there are several").

    ReplyDelete