pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Neighbors, Old And New

Life has taught me that neighbors come in many forms. There are noisy neighbors, slovenly neighbors, rude and grumpy neighbors and those you never see from one week to the next.

Once in a great while a neighbor moves in that turns out to be the sort of which story books tell. For two years or so we have been blessed with this later sort.

In fact, this neighbor exceeds all the rules of goodness. This kindly person is youngish, having been retired from the work force through a cruel on-the-job accident. This event left him limited and in constant pain. However, one would never guess. He is always full of good cheer.
He is always active keeping his side of the fence tidy, with fishing and assorted projects.

When out in the garden he, just like the stories run, comes to the fence for a chat about the day. He has handed over the fence gifts from tools to make gardening on my side easier, to bread fresh from the oven and fish freshly caught.

Most recently he presented me with a charming bird house of his own crafting. I come from a long line of bird watchers. The Folks in their declining years not only had feeders, all sorts, but kept a daily journal of visitors to these. Yet, I've never had a bird house of my own.

Delighted, the house was hung high, hopefully out of harms way. Enter: New Neighbors.

There is much excitement in the garden as Spring renters have arrived! First time, Mister sat in the nearby apple tree chirping warnings. The expectant Mother entered the 'door', took measurements and considered furnishing choices I think. As of yesterday, setting up housekeeping has begun. The caution that is taken is quite amazing. These are savvy birds. They must know there is a cat presence in this garden. Yet the little mother arrived with the first bit of fluff in her beak, sat on the clothes line looking around then darted in.

All this may seem uncommonly dull to you, Dear Reader, but I am thrilled to have my own resident birds in my very own bird house with the heart on its door.

Such additions to the neighborhood are delightful indeed. The new neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. Bird, remind me that we have a common Heavenly Father Who watches over all our comings and goings. Perhaps in time we can convince the lovely Giving Neighbor of this fact.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely to have new neighbors! Mom has a birdhouse my grandfather build years ago for Martins. This spring a bluebird family has taken up residence in it to make a happy home. Here's to neighbors....especially the giving, generous, and quiet ones! :)

    ReplyDelete