pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Friday, September 3, 2010

Rock of My Life







For most of the years of my pilgrimage, the "rock" verses of scripture have been a strength and support in the spiritual sense. Perhaps this has been made easy by the image of Haystack Rock on the Oregon coast which was imprinted on my mind and heart from childhood.

Along with those individual verses has been Psalm 62 in its entirety. It never ceases to bring calm, regardless of circumstances, regardless of the translation. James Moffatt's however, is perhaps the favorite.

But today I want to share a translation, if you will. It is in the form of a hymn written by a young, contemporary hymn writer. He is a worship leader in a Southern fellowship. His presence is that of a true servant of the living God. He seems so very young, yet he has been in ministry for some years. He is also a husband and father of 4 young sons. His name is Aaron Keyes, and yes, he can be found on YouTube.

But his version of this Psalm, the hymn for This Day is as follows:

My soul finds rest in God alone
My Rock and my salvation.
A fortress strong against my foes
And I will not be shaken.
Though lips may bless and hearts may curse,
And lies like arrows pierce me,
I'll fix my heart on righteousness,
I'll look to Him who hears me.

Find rest my soul in God alone
Amid the world's temptations.
When evil seeks to take a hold
I'll cling to my salvation.
Though riches come and riches go,
Don't set your heart upon them.
The fields of hope in which I sow
Are harvested in Heaven.

I'll set my gaze on God alone
And trust in Him completely.
With every day pour out my soul
And He will prove His mercy.
though life is but a fleeting breath,
A sigh too brief to measure,
My King has crushed the curse of death
And I am His forever.


Oh praise Him, hallelujah,
My Delight, my Reward,
Everlasting, never failing,
My Redeemer, my God.


While it is true, hearing the melody along with the words is the perfect presentation.
Yet the words stand alone.

Their richness blesses.

They are all Truth.


2 comments: