pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Friday, May 20, 2011

The Best Leftovers

It has always, to me, been a delight and joy to tidy up after visiting loved ones have gone. Washing the dishes, glass ware, the silver and thinking of conversations, sweet exchanges, the beloved faces with smiles, singing, whatever it has been leads to the recounting of blessings. And yes, to warm feelings and the planting of memory's seeds.

Better still, are the moments after the the great-grands leave. Dishes aren't the items of this picture as yet. It is the blocks found under the chair, the beany bear under the foot stool and the Pooh book left on the footstool.

Then there is also the delightful still life in the kitchen- the cookie tin with the bowl of clementines and a match box racing car deftly set between. In front. At an angle.

Perhaps best of all, the finger prints and nose smudges recorded on French door windows. These are at a rather low level. Only the observant lover sees.

Only a Gran-Nan's heart rejoices.
At least this Gran-Nan.

2 comments:

  1. :) It's the little things in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often find things days after the wee one have been here. Always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete