pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Thursday, June 13, 2013


Dr. S. Hall Young at age 78

Dr. Young (1847-1927) was a pioneer missionary (Presbyterian) in Alaska.  His heroic life of service in the North is the stuff of legend and inspiration.  His death is one of those inexplicable events that only Eternity Future will reveal.  He was struck and killed by a car in Clarksburg, West Virginia the year after this photo was taken on the docks  in his beloved Alaska.

Among those papers he left behind are these lines of an unfinished poem:

Let me die, working.
Still tackling plans unfinished, tasks undone!
Clean to its end, swift may my race be run.
No laggard steps, no faltering, no shirking;
Let me die, working!

Let me die, thinking.
Let me fare forth still with an open mind,
Fresh secrets to unfold, new truths to find,
My soul undimmed, alert, no blinking;
Let me die thinking.

Let me die, laughing.
No sighing o'er past sins; they are forgiven.
Spilled on this earth are all the joys of Heaven;
The wine of life, the cup of mirth quaffing.
Let me die, laughing.

I do so wish he had been able to finish writing down his thoughts.
And yet, here is enough to ponder and take to heart This Day.

2 comments: