pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Friday, January 17, 2014

A Love Letter


It doesn't always happen but it does happen often enough to confirm the relevancy and immediacy of Scriptural inspiration!  Just in the course of daily reading on the day and at the time a special word is needed, it happens. 

On this day comes the awesome - and I use the word in the true sense, not in today's common, much too common way - comes the reminder of who and Whose I am.

Isaiah chapter 43 is one of those tender love letters from the Father to put focus and sense back into my life and thoughts. 

Thus says the Lord, He Who created you..and formed you..Fear not, for I have redeemed you.  I have called you by your name; you are Mine. 

I do know that these words were written to the nation of Israel, and yet through Grace they can be mine as well and truly are in fact.

Created - formed - redeemed - called.  That is splendid as is.  But to be called 'by my name' in this day and age when in every other situation I am but a number on a file folder, part of the mob and collective humanity.  Here is personal attention from a Personal God.  

That is good. Selah.  Pause and calmly think of that!

The passage also states that come flood or fire He is with me.

And there is a because following.  It's not just these stone-strong promises that are given, no.  It is because He is the Holy one, the I AM of Israel and my Savior and "because you are precious in My sight and I love you."  

It matters not if I am precious to anyone else I am to my Creator-Redeemer.  I am loved.  This is not common every-day sort of love, this is "the delight .. the ardent fullness of affection and tender mercies of God to His people."*

Still there is more.  He makes paths through the seas, a way through the waters, provides streams in the desert places.  O yes, and He is the one Who blots out and cancels my sins -for His own sake- and remembers them no more!

Can Love be more complete, more beautiful than this?
I am His..  He is with me..   I am called by my name as well as by His..  I am created for His glory..  He makes paths and provides streams..  and my sins are blotted, canceled and forgotten.

I am reminded that I am to be His witness, His servant as He has chosen me that I might Know Him, believe Him and remain steadfast to Him because He is the Only One.  There is no other.

Love is reciprocal or should be.  But my Faithful God, the God of my entire history was and is the First Mover when it comes to Love.  I fall on my face before such Love.

Love is the final word.  Nothing remains but to praise Him!

_____
Amplified translation used
* Wilson's Word Studies of the Old Testament

3 comments:

  1. Footprints. Oh, how these words of wisdom soothe my anxious heart. Love you, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ru, I read always your beautiful heart ~and it's like sitting knee to knee in your big chair, cup of tea held in my hands ~ drinking instead in all you give and give and give. Its always been such ~ through the many years ~ and I come away full, overflowing with Jesus! Years and miles never diminish who you are in my heart...the dearest, the sweetest of friends. Yes, YES, You are loved by HIM....by kith and kIn, (and Ken :-) ) but by me, too. ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete