pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Monday, March 18, 2013

When Heated in the Chase...




As pants the hart for cooling streams,
When heated by the chase;
So longs my soul, O God for Thee,
And Thy refreshing Grace...

Why restless, why cast down, my soul?
Hope still, and thou shalt sing
The praise of Him who is Thy God,
Thy health's eternal spring.

There are days, even when the sun is shining outside the window and the breeze brings promise of Spring when the hart's heart is heavy and heated by the chase.

Best to remember then "...all my fresh springs shall be in Thee."

______
Poem fragment: Nahum Tate (1652-1715) & Nicholas Brady (1659-1726)
                          Paraphrase of Psalm 42
'fresh springs': Psalm 87.7, Book of Common Prayer Psalter trans.




2 comments: