pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Happy Thought Indeed!

Today we honor Jane Austen. Happy Birthday, Jane darling!

Has any literary lady given us such happiness?

So many rich and delightful story lines, love stories and characters have been crafted by her pen.
Certainly the women in this clan are grateful for her genius, for the actual literary works, but also for the movie adaptations made from these books. (with the possible exception of the Pride and Prejudice version set in the Antebellum South.)

Who else has given us the equal of Mr. Darcy?
Who, at the same time, has given our menfolk the likes of Mr. Collins to imitate and mock?

Jane has graced our lives, has she not?

So, Gentle Reader, on this day of days, celebrate in some small way .. even if you haven't been invited to the ball at Netherfield.

3 comments:

  1. Why do you wink at me Ma'ma? What am I suppose to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go with Emily to her bible study on Wednesday nights. It's a small group of five, us girls and Riley, Tyler, and Sam. Last night we helped out the Awana's Christmas program. Afterward the leaders took us out for Starbucks. Sam, Emily, and I were all talking about musicals and his loathing of them when he chimed in with, "You like all that Jane Austen stuff, don't you?" You can imagine my horror.... Especially on this day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, did NOT know you were "blogging"...stamping foot! Sort of feel as if I wasn't "invited to the ball!"
    I did think of Jane yesterday...perhaps this is why? Happy Birthday to Jane!

    ReplyDelete