pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Friday, February 4, 2011

John Q.
















One always risks one's pride when declaring excitement over information just discovered. When one is of a certain age it is expected that great stores of knowledge have been accumulated. Well
Dear Reader, I can only declare that I love learning and so pass on to you this day something that delighted my proverbial sox off and was quite unknown before this day.

John Quincy Adams was a hymn writer! Marvelous!
He also played the flute.

It has been said that he was one of the most brilliant of US Presidents. Certainly he was one of the most religious. He himself stated that he read the Bible each morning for an hour. Typically, he alternated the language in which he read it. Not your common man, John.

Living in the very heavy shadow of his illustrious father, growing up as he did under public scrutiny as the president's son, serving his country all his life, not to mention being a husband and father, he would have been a man tested along so many lines and in so many ways throughout his years. He rose above crushing defeats yet in all this he trusted and praised his God.

Here, a statement of faith of the trusting, obedient child and pilgrim, John Quincy Adams.

Send forth, O God, Thy light and truth,
And let them lead me still,
Undaunted, in the paths of right,
Up to Thy holy hill.
Then to Thy alter will I spring,
And in my God rejoice;
And praise shall tune the trembling string,
And gratitude my voice.

O why, my soul, art thou cast down?
Within me why distressed?
Thy hopes the God of grace shall crown;
He yet shall make thee blessed.
To Him, my never failing Friend,
I bow, and kiss the rod;
To Him shall thanks and praise ascend,
My Savior and my God.

3 comments:

  1. Love the hymn. I think I would have liked to have tea with him. Maybe play our flutes together

    ReplyDelete
  2. footprints. Nana, you are by far the most intelligent and wise woman i know.

    ReplyDelete