pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Friday, February 18, 2011

Storms, Trees and Thoughts Concerning Them




Trees have always played a key roll in my life, a role of pleasure and delight. And storms, well they seem to be one of Life's players as well, not so delightful, but necessary.

At present, we, as well as other
units of our family are in the midst of grievous and baffling tumultuous blasts.

Growing up near the sea, the image of coastal trees is vivid. Their bent forms tell of many storms weathered. Yet they stand in their exposed situations, growing on.
A Life lesson, this.

Then too, in last nights bedtime reading I came across the following. It is from a secular book - my 'light' reading. But is expressed truth perfectly and beautifully.

"...the grass and trees and shrubs had no choice but to yield to the unruly wind as it lashed them from side to side, but they clung fast to the earth and felt very grateful for the roots that pushed down deep and held them in their proper places." [Susan Wittig Albert]

It is all there, isn't it?

The storm rages, yet may we continue like the seaside trees, leaning, bent but unbroken, because through all the seasons of past years, our roots have pushed deep. And as those roots sought the River, the leaves have remained green, still bearing fruit in old age as the Psalmist says that they may be "living memorials to show that the Lord is faithful to His promises; He is my Rock and there is no unrighteousness in Him. [Psa. 93. 12-15]

Selah.

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and yours and praying daily as you "weather the storms". You are very dear to us!
    Love, G and C

    p.s. LOVE the new pic!

    ReplyDelete