pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Words for the Day




Books are "my one weakness."

Thomas Jefferson said it best: "I cannot live without books." Book are made up of words which are a delight as well as the proper expression of all imagery, of proper thought.

For today, some of my favorites found in the Book of Common Prayer either in Thomas Cranmer's collects or Miles Coverdale's psalter translation.

~ Betimes ~ Bestride ~ Besmirched ~

~ Becalmed ~ Bounden Duty ~

~ Vouchsafe ~

Perhaps we should form a club by which it is our bounded duty to use lovely old words which are now, all but lost, to common usage.

4 comments:

  1. I'll join! ;o) *Clubs* are my one weakness ;o)

    Don't you just love Larkrise to Candleford!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...books...words...with tea, my one weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to join this club and so would my friend Randy. He is all about big words. Today I learned the word, 'parsimonious'. Isn't that just lovely!?

    ReplyDelete