pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Thursday, May 6, 2010

"The Gospel of Grab"




Isn't that a great phrase?

It was coined by David Brown, Canon of Durham Cathedral. It appears in regard of course, to the personal self-indulgent lust for things, toys as well as status.


In the on going struggle to "simplify, simplify" it gives a graphic and powerful title to the cycle of madness in which we allow ourselves to be caught.

Canon Brown is speaking of the writings of the apostle Paul. Notwithstanding the 'reformation message' of the justification by faith alone, the heart of Paul's message, he writes, is that the root of all sin is self-centeredness. "Pride is the worst fault as it cuts us off from a sense of dependency on others, and thus essentially upon God."

Pride. Self-centeredness. The cult of Me. Things. Here is our problem, the problem, my problem. Ouch!

Certainly no new thoughts here. Just for today a refreshed awareness and reminder to choose the right gospel by which to rule our lives.


1 comment:

  1. 'The cult of me', double ouch. Yes, a good reminder, a good daily reminder.

    ReplyDelete