pathway

pathway
Give me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My script of joy, immortal diet,
M
y bottle of salvation.
My gown of glory, hopes true gauge,
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage.

~Sir Walter Raleigh

A hiker, walking for pleasure, likes to choose between several alluring trails.
The pilgrim desires only the road that leads home.

~Frank W. Boreham


Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Iron Shoes For This Day

Some days the to-do list seems to exceed the energy level. This is one of those days. So when I read Moses's blessing for the tribe of Asher I not only giggled, I was encouraged. (Deut. 33.25)

We are all familiar with the last phrase of the verse "...as thy days so shall thy strength be". That is a promise that always 'fits' and we are always heartened at the thought of it.

But the first phrase is the promise of an amazingly long-lasting form of equipment (this from the King James version) and what struck me today: "thy shoes shall be iron and brass...." Designer shoes of extreme durability for special needs on special days.

While I have preferred bare feet my life long, the idea of shoes to fit the needs of the day is a profound one.

Not everyone is promised iron shoes; they are given when needed and only if they will do the job required. The thought of the extra strength implied suits me this day.. and the footprints they leave should be noticeable, don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. like elephant footprints in the snow.....

    footprints. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like a pair right about now. Cast iron with maybe a few rhinestones for effect.

    ReplyDelete